Local weather forecast - train arrivals/departures below

NORTH MYMMS WEATHER

Welcome to North Mymms News

News and information for the Hertfordshire parish of North Mymms. There is a comment box for your input beneath each item - you might need to disable ad blocker temporarily to reveal. You can sign up for news update notifications at the top left of any page.

Hope and Anchor to “open in the very near future”

Pub boarded up “to secure premises”


The Hope and Anchor - 31 January 2019 Image courtesy of Keith Dixon
The Hope and Anchor - 31 January 2019
Image courtesy of Keith Dixon

The group responsible for the Hope and Anchor in Welham Green says it’s now “actively marketing the pub for letting”, after negotiating possession of the premises.

The historical North Mymms pub has been closed since November, and there were fears in the village that the Grade II listed North Mymms building might have served its last pint.

The Hope and Anchor - 31 January 2019 Image courtesy of Keith Dixon
The Hope and Anchor - 31 January 2019
Image courtesy of Keith Dixon

However, Ei Group, which owns the building, confirmed last year that they were not planning to close the Hope and Anchor, but were working to ensure the 19th century pub continues to serve beer as it has for 180 years.

Ei Group Regional Manager, Richard Smyth says it’s all good news for the pub, despite the site being boarded up. He says the shutters have been put in place in order to secure the premises and that the company “hope to have the pub open in the very near future”.


Historical local pub


Our history site, the North Mymms History Project, has several features about the pub which has been known as both the Hope & Anchor and the Hope and Anchor.

It was first referred to as a beer house in 1838 when the landlord, James Hutson, who was also a shop-keeper and church organist, paid the North Mymms bell-ringers in beer. The following is from chapter five of the book Victorian Lives in North Mymms, entitled "Publicans In The Community".
"The bell ringing connection with the church was transferred from the Maypole to James Hutson at the Hope & Anchor, in 1849 - "Hutson for 6 days ringing £1 16s 0d." It was strengthened by his ability as organist for which service the churchwardens paid him £5 a year for some years. The connection of both kinds ended by 1852. It is a moot point whether this happened because Hutson gave up the beershop soon after, being over sixty five, or whether the growth of temperance views in the church was responsible. The evangelical group in the Church of England began to turn towards teetotalism."
The Hope and Anchor is listed by Historic England as:
"Public House. C17 timber frame. Roughcast. Plain tile steep pitched roof. 1 storey and attics. 3 gabled dormers with glazing bar casements, the gables with old moulded wood brackets. 2 8/8-pane flush sash windows on left. External chimney stack on tile hung left gable end in vitrified red brick. It has 2 square shafts at the top joined by a small arch. Centre bay of interior retains chamfer stopped beam and fireplace lintel. Single storey C19 rear extension to centre with C20 additions on right."

The history of the Hope and Anchor in pictures




The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, August 25, 1915  Photograph by G Knott from the Images of North Mymms collection
The Hope and Anchor - 1900s
Photograph by G Knott from the Images of North Mymms collection

The Hope and Anchor - in the 1930s  Photograph by A. Matthews from the Images of North Mymms collection
The Hope and Anchor - in the 1930s
Photograph by A. Matthews from the Images of North Mymms collection

The Hope and Anchor in the 1950s  Photograph by B.H. Warne, part of the Images of North Mymms collection
The Hope and Anchor in the 1950s
Photograph by B.H. Warne, part of the Images of North Mymms collection

The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, in the 1960s  Image by Ron Kingdon, part of the Images of North Mymms collection
The Hope and Anchor in the 1960s
Image by Ron Kingdon, part of the Images of North Mymms collection

The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, in the 1970s  Postcard from the Peter Miller Collection
The Hope and Anchor in the 1970s
Postcard from the Peter Miller Collection
The Hope and Anchor in the 1980s  Photograph by H. Baker, part of the Images of North Mymms collection
The Hope and Anchor in the 1980s
Photograph by H. Baker, part of the Images of North Mymms collection

The Hope and Anchor - November 2018  Image by the North Mymms History Project, released under Creative Commons
The Hope and Anchor - November 2018
Image by the North Mymms History Project, released under Creative Commons

The Hope And Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green - August 2018 Image by the North Mymms History Project, released under Creative Commons
The Hope and Anchor - August 2018
Image by the North Mymms History Project, released under Creative Commons





Reactions and comments


Your feedback on the articles posted on North Mymms News is always welcome. Please use the comment box below.


More articles

Please use the ‘next’ button above to access recent news items. If you want to contribute a news article please use the ‘contact us’ form in the right-hand column.